Illogan

Illogan (Cornish: Egloshal)is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. In the early 19th century, it was bounded on the north by the sea, and St Agnes, on the east by St Agnes and Redruth, on the south by Wendron and Camborne, and on the west by Camborne and the sea. Named after an obscure Cornish saint, St Illogan parish stretches south from the north coast of Cornwall and is between the towns of Camborne and Redruth. The parish contains Portreath, originally called Basset's Cove, a quiet fishing village situated about a mile and a half to the north-west of Illogan Churchtown, and which was developed in the 18th and 19th centuries into a port with a railway connecting to the Pool and Hayle Foundry. Copper ore was exported to Swansea for smelting and coal and iron were imported for the mines in Cornwall.- Genuki

John and Mary Harris 19/8/1775 Scillies List

See Redruth John and Mary Ann

 

back to A-Z list