Gulval (Cornish: Lannystli) is near Penzance overlooking Mounts Bay. The parish was originally called Lanisley, taken from the old Cornish Lan meaning church and ishei lower meaning the low (or lower church) which agrees with the situation. The present name, which has been used for many centuries, is probably derived from St Gulval, about whom nothing is known but was believed to be a female. There is a legend of a St Gulval's Well where one could seek news of absent friends by gazing into the water. The parish of Gulval, otherwise known as Lanesly, is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith; it is bounded on the north by Zennor, a detached portion of Madron which it nearly surrounds, and Towednack, on the east by Ludgvan, on the south by Mount's Bay and on the west by Madron. Gulval was incorporated into the parishes of Penzance, Madron and Ludgvan in 1934, and is now virtually a suburb of Penzance. from Genuki
Soc of Gen library apparently has a Eustice entry for this parish fopr the 1620s but "page mising".
back to A-Z list